We’ve used this recipe so often that the page has fallen out of our notebook. It is the ultimate example of a incredibly flexible recipe.
- 1 cup corn meal
- 1/2 cup soy flour* + 1/2 cup oat flour OR 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1 cup rice milk, soy milk, almond milk, or even regular milk
- 1/3 cup of your favorite oil
- 1 egg OR egg substitute = 1 egg
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (totally optional)
Preheat oven: 400° F
Prepare pan: Grease 8-inch square baking dish or 9-inch pie dish
Mix dry ingredients in a bowl. Combine the wet ingredients in a separate bowl or in a large measuring cup and mix well. Tip the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir just until evenly moistened. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 20 – 25 minutes until lightly browned.
* Uncooked batter which contains soy flour will be bitter, but the bitterness disappears after baking.
Serve with: Bison chili
Use as topping for tamale pie.
How did you customize this recipe?
For those with egg allergies or who want the recipe to be vegan, we used: