Blue corn is a Southwest favorite. You may have already discovered blue corn chips or taco shells. Now it is time to add blue corn to your breakfast menu.
Note: We found the Arrowhead Mills brand blue cornmeal at Whole Foods.
- 3/4 cup gluten-free blue cornmeal (may substitute yellow cornmeal)
- 1/4 cup gluten-free oat flour (may substitute unbleached all-purpose flour if gluten allowed)
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 cup Earth Balance (or butter), melted
- 1/2 cup rice or soy milk
- 1 egg
1. Preheat a waffle iron as per the manufacturer’s instructions.
2. Combine the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.
3. In another small bowl or even in a large glass measuring cup, mix the wet ingredients thoroughly.
4. Quickly add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix. (These waffles can stand a more thorough mixing than you would with standard waffles or pancakes).
5. Bake in a waffle iron as per the manufacturer’s instructions. Adjust baking times to your own taste.
Serve with your favorite waffle toppings, such as maple syrup, honey, or fast berry syrup.