Whenever there’s a bounty of tomatoes, such as from the garden or on sale at the store, think tomato soup.
This recipe is very simple and dairy free.
- About 2 1/2 lbs tomatoes, fresh
- 1 Tablespoon Earth Balance or butter
- 1/2 cup diced white onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3/4 tsp. dried basil (or to taste)
- 3/4 tsp. dried rosemary (or to taste)
1. Peel the tomatoes as described previously. Core and dice the tomatoes. If you only have a few fresh tomatoes, it is okay to add a can of diced tomatoes, too.
2. In a large saucepan, melt the butter. Add the onions and garlic and cook until the onions begin to turn clear (translucent) and soften.
3. Add tomatoes and herbs. Reduce the heat to a simmer, if necessary. Allow to simmer about 30 minutes.
4. Using an immersion blender, blend the tomato soup until it reaches the desired texture. If you don’t have an immersion blender, cool slightly, pour into a blender to process, and then return to the saucepan to warm the soup back up.
Serve with with a few leaves of fresh minced basil and/or pepper.
Note: This soup is best served fresh.