If you have any citrus trees in your yard, you are probably looking for ways to use up the fruit. Here is a simple sugar cookie you can make with added orange or lemon zing.
Let’s start with orange sugar cookies.
How good are they? Let’s just say the two photogenic cookies I hid in the fridge for a next day photo shoot disappeared mysteriously.
Preheat the oven to 400° F.
- 1 cup Earth Balance or butter, melted
- 2 Tablespoons orange zest
- 1 egg or egg substitute
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1. Melt the Earth Balance or butter in the microwave on High for about 30 seconds (adjust for your microwave’s settings).
2. In a mixing bowl, combine the first 4 (wet) ingredients and mix well.
3. Add the sugar and beat until well mixed.
4. Add the flour and baking soda. Stir until blended. The dough should be stiff enough to form balls. If it is not, add a Tablespoon more flour.
5. Grease one large cookie sheet or two medium ones. Form walnut-sized balls with your hands. Place the dough balls about 2 inches apart on the greased cookie sheet and flatten slightly into cookie shape with your hands, or you can use the bottom of a glass.
6. Place in preheated oven and bake for roughly 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
Let cool on a wire rack.
Lemon Sugar Cookies:
In the recipe above, replace the orange zest with lemon zest and the orange juice with lemon juice. For an extra lemon kick, increase the lemon zest to 3 or 4 Tablespoons.