Next week is Cinco de Mayo. What a perfect time for this yummy and versatile avocado salsa!
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 cup of your favorite bottled salsa verde
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 1 small bunch cilantro, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
Peel, pit and slice the avocado. Place the slices in a blender or food processor. Add the remaining ingredients and process on medium until smooth.
The lemon juice will help prevent the salsa from turning brown. If you are making it in advance, covering the storage bowl tightly with a lid or plastic wrap to keep out air will also help.
1. This sauce is very good over huevos rancheros. Prepare eggs as you prefer. Lay a warmed corn tortilla on a plate, add the cooked egg, and top with avocado salsa and chopped cilantro. Serve with pinto beans, black beans or refried beans on the side.
2. Makes a great dip with corn chips.
3. You can also leave the avocados out of the fajitas and top with avocado salsa instead.
What is your favorite brand of salsa verde?