What is the most embarrassingly easy recipe in the world? One that requires no refrigeration prior to assembly, can be thrown together in seconds, and is actually quite satisfying? One that can travel for miles and/or days in a car or caravan prior to being prepared?
Answer: Four-Bean Salad
- 1 approx. 16 oz can dark red kidney beans
- 1 approx. 16 oz can cut green beans
- 1 approx. 16 oz can cut yellow wax beans
- 1 approx. 16 oz can garbanzo beans or chickpeas
- 1 16 oz bottle Newman’s Own or similar olive oil and vinegar dressing
Will also need:
- Medium-sized mixing bowl (large enough to accommodate ingredients)
- Can opener
When you reach your destination and are ready to eat, simply open the cans, drain each one, and add the contents to the bowl. Splash on a generous amount of dressing (1/3 to 1/2 cup, depending on your taste). Stir and serve.
What else is this easy and portable?
Optional: If you have a kitchen nearby, a few Tablespoons of finely minced red onions can add a bit more color and freshen the flavor.
Why Newman’s Own salad dressing? Of course, you may bring your own ingredients and make your own, but we are trying to make this extremely easy. The reason I use it is on the label:
This brand does not require refrigeration, even after opening. That means you can carry it back with you in the car and not have to worry about it!
What do you add to your three- or four-bean salads?