Because food and photography are two of my passions, World Food Alphabet a children’s book newly re-released by photographer, food writer, and restauranteur Chris Caldicott definitely caught my eye.
In World Food Alphabet, Caldicott gives us a window to the people and food of world through his wonderful photographs, ranging from “Aa is for Apricots” to “Zz is for Zucchini” (See our full review and suggestions for activities at our sister blog, Wrapped in Foil).
The book begs to be accompanied by snacks, beverages, or even meals prepared using the featured food ingredients.
Let’s start with “Dd is for Dates.”
Dates are so sweet and full of fiber. Even better, you can quickly make a thick, cool, satisfying shake or smoothie with them.
Some date shake recipes call for ice cream, but you really don’t need it.
Two child-friendly recipes for a date shakes or smoothies:
1. Basic Date Shake
- 0.25 L (about 1 cup) cold soy, rice or regular milk
- 8 pitted dates – I used medjool dates and chopped them slightly (You may need to adjust the number depending on the variety of date and your tastes).
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- 2 – 3 ice cubes (optional)
Mix all the ingredients in the blender and blend to the desired consistency. Pour into glasses and serve.
Note: This recipe is definitely best freshly made. It can become gooey if left in the fridge for even a few hours.
2. Fruity Date Smoothie
- 1 ripe banana, peeled and sliced (“Bb is for Bananas”)
- 4 dates, pitted (“Dd is for Dates”)
- 3/4 cup fresh pineapple, peeled and diced (“Pp is for Pineapples”)
- 1/4 cup freshly-squeezed lemon juice (“Ll is for Lemons & Limes”)
- 300 mL or 1 1/3 cups rice, soy or regular milk, cold
Add fruit and lemon juice to blender and blend until desired consistency. Add milk and blend until well mixed. Pour into glasses and serve immediately.
Do you have any suggestions for child-friendly recipes that take dates?
What do you add to your date shakes?
Be sure to visit Weekend Cooking at Beth Fish Reads for more recipes and books.
Disclosure: I am an affiliate with Amazon so I can provide you with cover images and links to more information about books and products. As you probably are aware, if you click through the highlighted title link and purchase a product, I will receive a very small commission, at no extra cost to you. Any proceeds help defray the costs of hosting and maintaining this website.