The theme for Food on Friday at Carole’s Chatter is berries and currants.
What a great time to share our family’s favorite dessert.
Perky Raspberry Buckle
(A non-dairy version of Martha Stewart’s buckle)
- 1/2 cup Earth Balance (or butter or margarine if can tolerate dairy)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, unbleached
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- 12 oz. fresh raspberries, washed and drained, or 2 cups frozen raspberries, partially thawed
1. Preheat the oven to 350° F.
2. Grease a 9-inch square baking pan.
3. When using Earth Balance, soften briefly in the microwave. Cream together with sugar in a mixing bowl. Add eggs and mix thoroughly.
4. Add flour, baking powder and cinnamon to batter and mix. Finished product should have the texture of cake batter.
5. Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan. Sprinkle raspberries evenly on top.
6. Bake 45 minutes or until cake is done (toothpick should come out clean). Allow a few extra minutes if using frozen berries.
Note: this recipe doubles easily for a 9″ x 13″ quarter sheet cake.