Sometimes you need something easy and fast for a party or bake sale. They aren’t pretty, but these oatmeal bars are always delicious and consistently please kids.
- 1 cup milk-free margarine, such as Earth Balance®
- 1 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 4 cups of quick oats (oatmeal)
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Grease 1 standard cake pan.
- Mix margarine, brown sugar and baking soda in a medium-sized saucepan over medium to high heat, and stir regularly until the mixture begins to boil.
- Remove from heat, add oatmeal and mix thoroughly.
- Transfer to cake pan and smooth out layer.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Bars will still be soft.
- Cut into bars while still warm (will harden and crumble if cut after cooled.)
Now, wasn’t that easy?
What is your favorite dessert bar recipe?